Tuesday, October 30, 2012

canadian correctness

one year while living as a tenant in the rooming house i had some potatoes that had sprouted in the cupboard as it was spring and I was taking care of the yard for the landlord i thought of my great aunt who always planted potatoes in the front yard of her house in regina and decided these would goe in the front yard of the rooming house, along the sidewalk to the road. one day several months later I was in the backyard with another tenant and thit brought up the potatoes out front, at the first I thought the comment was a nod of approval, then I understood it was meant as a criticism as thit went on to say thit was concerned what the neighbours might think of potatoe plants in the front yard. thit added that maybe because they were ethnic canadians they might find potatoes in the front yard offensive or unsightly in the culture they come from.

I thought maybe they had said something to thit about it but from other things that tenant had said over the previous year i decided thit simply was too concerned about others, thinking every little thing one does has to be checked with a comittee. so i said I didn't give a fuck what the neighbours thought of the potatoes in the front yard it's not their yard, it's the landlords and the landlord hasn't said any thing but good things about having a tenant do the yard maintenance.

thit gave me a nervous smile and did not say any thing else of the potatoes and then went inside. the whole of the time I had been talking to the other tenant my back was to the house to the west, i grabbed the broom by the steps and began to sweep away the other tenants comments. i had seen front yards belonging to ethnic canadians down the street with tomatoes planted in with the roses and there is a gardening movement that commends front yard vegetable gardens, whats suddenly wrong with a few potatoe plants out front, and as I turned and was side ways to the west house I noticed the neighbour going up the steps of the house to the west in a way that suggested thit wanted to goe inside unnoticed and I thought shit was thit there the whole time I was talking to the other tenant.